Altius is committed to health and safety in all aspects of our operations. Altius employees are required to adhere to the Company's health and safety program and ensure that not only the employees themselves, but also their coworkers, contractors, consultants, observers and visitors remain healthy and safe at all times. Safety policies, procedures and regulations have been established for all individuals and/or companies involved in our activities.
The Altius health and safety program started in 2005. Altius has remained compliant since the program inception with the Occupational Health & Safety Legislation and strives to exceed those minimum requirements. Altius considers its health and safety program to be a ‘living document’ that will change, update and adopt to meet with our own ever-increasing health and safety standards, as well as the evolving culture of safety in the industry and workplace. The higher standard of safety of a corporate partner or a contractor takes precedence in case the health and safety policies are superior to those of Altius and vice versa.
- From its inception in 1996, Altius has adopted a culture of safety which has been very successful for over 24 years of operations. In the hundreds of thousands of person hours (~624,000 hours - based on an estimated 15 employees over a 20-year period), Altius has only experienced one lost-time incident due to a minor slip-and-fall injury.
- The company has successfully maintained prime status since 2005, resulting in lower WorkplaceNL compensation insurance premiums.
- Successfully completed a WorkplaceNL Occupational Health and Safety audit in 2011
- Received national safety awards every year since 2008 from the Association for Mineral Exploration British Columbia (AMEBC) and Prospectors & Developers Association of Canada (PDAC).
- Staff is properly trained with respect to Occupational Health & Safety Legislation, Regulations and safe work practices.
- Altius obtains and ensures the proper use of all personal protective equipment (PPE) for all employees
- Strives to ensure that all employees, contractors, consultants, observers and visitors, remain healthy and safe regardless of the activity
- Produced, and continues to update, a robust and comprehensive ‘Guide to Safety Awareness’, documenting safety practices and policies
- Developed an ‘Emergency Response Plan’ that will guide the Company through times of crisis with annual updates
- New policies have been developed dealing with viral epidemics and mental health issues
The current health and safety program is managed by Altius’ Occupational Health and Safety Committee comprised of:
Rod Churchill, Lands and Operations Manager, Committee Employer Co-Chair
Peter Butt, Assistant Controller, Committee Employee Co-Chair
Carol Seymour, Senior Geologist, Committee Secretary